This page contains the most recent grooming and trail information. Please post your trail reports in the “Leave A Reply” section below. Include important observations about new snowfall, trail conditions, downed trees or anything that will be helpful to other skiers and groomers.
Tentatively planning to roll and set classic tracks on Lewis, Housington, and Arab Hill roads tomorrow AM.
15″ new snow when I arrived @9. Packed and tracked Lewis, Housington, and Arab Hill roads hoping to preserve base. Lewis blew in faster than I could pack. Housington and Arab Hill tracks were about 80% in tack at end of day; snowmobiles chewed up the other 20%. Snowmobile groomers and additional snow tonight may doom the remainder of tracks, tho Housington tracks might be missed by groomers.
Had a great ski in the afternoon. It appears only 2-4 sleds were on the BHSF roads today, so traffic was low. Snowmobile trails remain closed but state forest roads are open to sleds. If snowmobile groomers make a pass on roads tonight, it might be good skate conditions tomorrow.
Have been advised snowmobile trails are open. Use caution.
Update: Roads have 7″ new snow on top of snowmobile groomer packed base. Lots of sleds.
PLEASE POST REPORT IF YOU SKI NON-MOTORIZED TRAILS.
All trails have been rolled except the Overland Trail. 3′ of new snow proved too much for our sled on Friday, so Clyde Rogers packed the trails (again) on Saturday. Sorry, no classic tracks have been set.
Bill reports that our trails have an icy base covered by 4″ of snow. Wet spots persist but are easily avoidable. The touring crowd might find the trip worthwhile. Probably classic skis with metal edges and sharp poles are in order.
No report for the forest roads. Snowmobile trails are closed so snowmobile traffic, if any, will probably be light. I expect there is base on the roads and they drain much better than our trails, so the base may not be as icy and they might work for classic or skate. There will be thin spots including near Cook Rd, so don’t use your “A” skis.
Attempted to pack Arab Hill Rd but snow was too deep and sled didn’t run well (fouled plugs). Won’t be able to try again for several days. Back country conditions on roads and trails.
Update: Snowmobile trails are opening. Use caution!